Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer reverse beacon experiment - update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer reverse beacon experiment - update
From: Clive Whelan <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 00:03:17 +0000
Pete

Sure, fantastic software indeed, and you are demonstrating what it is
capable of. Perhaps the most profound implication is that it can render
the use of DX clusters irrelevant, and therefore - at a stroke- deprive
the cheats of their ( currently enjoyed) edge. However , what I don't
quite see is how the average Joe, or even the well equipped contest
station can integrate the functionality into his favourite logging
programme so that the "spots" populate the band map, until or unless
add-on hardware becomes available, or manufacturers make a ca. 100kHz
slice of the IF available to Skimmer. My 756PROIII clearly has that
potential as it can already display a bandscope over such a range, but I
don't see ICOM making that externally available any time soon, as it is
simply not for the mass market.

Am I lacking in vision, or do you share my reservations?

73

Clive
GW3NJW