Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology
From: Guy Molinari <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 02:58:33 +0000
I think there are a number of reasons why people get involved in contesting.
There are those who like the technical aspects of station building and see
contests as a way to "prove out" station designs, changes, etc.  They get their
kicks from the technology side of things.   Another group likes the competition
inherent in operating.   They see value in building operating skills rather
than technology for technologies sake.

On SO2R - SO2R is about skill, not technology (this is a dead horse that has
been beaten many times).  SO2R advances the radio art from a skill building
perspective.   Managing interstation interference is a related technical
challenge.  This also advances the radio art.

On Skimmer - Skimmer has the potential of leveling the playing field when used
to generate spots.  I think the idea of a network of skimmers for spotting and
propagation studies is a good one that advances the radio art.   Using skimmer
in the single op category demeans the skills that many ops have worked hard to
develop.   These skills are not considered a chore to those who have worked
hard to hone them.   Using skimmer to copy calls and populate a band map does
not advance the radio art.

On Remoting - If the transmitter, receiver and antennas are within the
designated station circle then why should anyone care where the operator is
located.   Managing communication latencies is a technical challenge.  Does it
advance the radio art?   Maybe.   It might likely break down some of the
economic barriers to building large stations.   This would be a good thing that
advances contesting and dxing.   Does it negatively impact the value of
operator skill?   I think not.

These are of course just my personal opinions.

I think the basic test of whether a technology should be allowed is the ask
this question.  "Does it advance the radio art from the perspective of the
major constituencies?".    I realize that this is somewhat subjective question.
  This seems to me to be the stewardship of the contest sponsors.

Hopefully they will quickly sort this out and weigh in on skimmer.

I'm a newcomer that has just gotten into contesting in the past few years.   I
wasn't an active ham before computers became popular, but I'm old enough to
remember what it was like before computer technology became mainstream.

My .02 cents worth.

73 - Guy, N7ZG