Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: "Michael Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>, "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: "Colleen Brakob" <cbrakob@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:44:55 -0600

> >> All antennas used by the entrant
> >> must be physically connected by wires to
> >> the transmitters and receivers used by the
> >> entrant.
>

> Okay, now this might seem to be a "DUH" moment, but what are they
> trying to say here? Keeping in mind that this rule was almost
> certainly written before the concept of having a station at some site
> that is unattended, and controlled via the internet, it looks like
> they want the entrant AT the station.

You and Diana Moon Glompers, the Handicapper General, might feel that way
but I don't.

The rule snippet talks only about >antennas< connected by wires to >the
transmitters and receivers< .  It doesn't even hint at connected to the
>operator< by wires.

FCC rules for at least the past 50 years that I've been interested in them
(part 12 and now part 97) contain language regarding remotely controlled
stations, and in that time I don't recall any contest sponsor prohibiting
their use.  That speaks volumes to me!

73, de Hans, K0HB/W7
"Just a boy and his radios."