Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:16:52 -0400
On Mar 18, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Colleen Brakob wrote:

>> Okay, now this might seem to be a "DUH" moment, but what are they
>> trying to say here? Keeping in mind that this rule was almost
>> certainly written before the concept of having a station at some site
>> that is unattended, and controlled via the internet, it looks like
>> they want the entrant AT the station.
>
> You and Diana Moon Glompers, the Handicapper General, might feel
> that way
> but I don't.

        Don't know why your thinking that I am advocating handicapping good
Ops, Hans. Did you read the rest of my post? That part of the rule is
pretty funny anyhow. Just what do they EXPECT the transmitters and
receivers to be connected with, Bungee cords?

> The rule snippet talks only about >antennas< connected by wires to
> >the
> transmitters and receivers< .  It doesn't even hint at connected to
> the
>> operator< by wires.
>
> FCC rules for at least the past 50 years that I've been interested
> in them
> (part 12 and now part 97) contain language regarding remotely
> controlled
> stations, and in that time I don't recall any contest sponsor
> prohibiting
> their use.  That speaks volumes to me!

New technology begs the question, and the rules could use
clarification, so I asked it. A remote station IMHO is not allowed
under the current rules.  I don't have anything against a remote
station at all, although I think they will work best for casual
operating - it will probably seem like talking over a satellite
phone. But if someone wants to use one in PAQSO, they'll be allowed.

-73 de Mike N3LI -