Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup

To: "'David Kopacz'" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>, "'Paul O'Kane'" <pokane@ei5di.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:25:05 -0400
David,

> Any amateur radio communications between two or more
> individuals is already using a signal path that "other than"
> RF, unless of course, you are getting RF into your microphone
> cable.

The local connections (microphone, headphone, etc.) are necessary
and part of amateur radio.  When these necessary connections are
replaced or extended by commercial means of communication, the
amateur nature of the communications is changed.

I have no philosophical objection to remote control as long as the
controls are entirely by amateur radio (e.g., RF above 220 MHz).
It is when you and those like you replace amateur frequencies
with AT&T, Sprint, etc. that the line has been crossed.  The
next step is to move all of the big remote stations into a small
are to make the RF part of the path more "reliable" followed by
elimination of the "unreliable" ionosphere with redundant servers.

Eventually, amateur radio becomes nothing more than a multiplayer
computer game that anyone (located in developed countries with
access to a laptop and WiFi) can play.  Amateur radio with the
thrill of wireless, long distance, person to person, communication
has been turned on it head.  Instead of person to person, long
distance communication, it becomes wired person to server
communication and the only thing "wireless" is the short range
network access hop.