Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges
From: Dave/KA1NCN <dave@ka1n.cn>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
Folks... some of you have commented to me (on the list and privately) that I am
misunderstanding what the ?S? in an RSt means.  My initial inclination was that
it was whatever the signal strength meters were reading.  This lead to the
question of ?who decides? what the RST scale means, anyway?  After all why is
?readability? expressed in a scale of five?  But, there is considerable
authority that indicates that "S" is more of a "feeling" that the operator gets
about how strong the signal sounds.

After looking at W4RNL?s page ( http://www.cebik.com/tales/rst.html ), I can
say that I learned a lot (and we probably all could benefit from reading it).
However, as is the case with a very complete and scholarly analysis of the
issue, I am left with more questions than answers about whether ?S? is
objective or not.

Dave/KA1NCN dave@KA1N.CN