Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Fabian Kurz <mail@fkurz.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:33:27 +0200
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:01:16AM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
> If CW Skimmer is banned in this category,
> the temptation to cheat will be almost overwhelming.

It's the same temptation to cheat with DX-Cluster, excessive power,
etc. I don't see the difference.

There will always be some scum in the contesting community that
cheats. No matter what we do, there won't be a way to completely
eliminate it. Making the rules less restrictive to reduce cheating is
a step in the wrong direction.

Let them cheat and be happy with it; just don't force honest and
skillful (unassisted) operators into using Skimmer, Cluster or other
means of assistance, which may increase the score by a few percent but
decrease the fun of contesting by 30dB.

Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/