Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:09:48 +0100
From: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>

> My simple test.  If you get CALLS and FREQUENCIES from
> something other than your own ears and your own turning
> of the knob on the radio, then it is assisted.

> Yes, I realize that guys using code readers do not pass
> the "your own ears" requirement. Same for RTTY.  Open to
> suggestion on how to word this better.

Here's a suggestion.

If you consider CW to be just another data mode, then
it's perfectly logical to use code readers, or Skimmer,
or any future technology to decode it. After all, that's
what you would do with any data mode - and there's more
of them every few months.

If you consider CW to be something special, a mode that
is intended to be decoded by ear (the one thing which
sets it apart from all "other" data modes), then that's
how you do it - all by yourself.

Otherwise, you're a machine operator, not a CW operator.

The use of code readers, including Skimmer, is
incompatible with unassisted CW entries.

73,
Paul EI5DI

"CW is just another data mode".  Yes, and whales are
just another fish.