Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER

To: <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:35:23 -0400
Jim,

> No matter how one chooses to parse the words, one of the
> unique, intrinsic, and abject joys of amateur radio, in
> general, and contesting in particular, is the beauty of
> our ability  to COPY signals and call signs.

I'm sorry you feel that way but the "copy by ear" train left
the station many years ago.  Not only is CW decoding integral
to Writelog, Amateur radio has not required that skill as an
entry requirement for nearly ten years.  To deny those who
lack your particular skill set and dedication the ability
to participate in a significant portion of contests would
go a long way toward hastening the demise of contesting -
at least CW contesting.

Machine copy, whether it be Skimmer, the WriteLog decoder
or one of the other stand alone decoders will be used by
an every larger portion of CW contest entrants as the "old
time" operators disappear.  Do we lose something in the
drift to machine copy?  Yes.  However that's not the issue.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV