Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:20:56 -0700

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>> It very effectively performs its
>> intended function even if the operator is taking a nap.
>>

> Then running skimmer during "off times" is simply another
> rules violation.  In that regard, it is no different than
> tuning the bands while eating during "off times."
>
> It is simple enough to turn off skimmer during off times
> or dump the "heard list" after a break.

I wasn't referring to cheating during a claimed off time.  Even during
an "on time", Skimmer listens for me and lines up stations for me to
work even if I'm not at the rig.  If I were running SO2R it essentially
operates the second rig for me.  It doesn't simply make me more
efficient ... it makes me unnecessary for that part of the activity.
I'm not sure how that doesn't constitute assistance equal or greater
than that provided by other currently prohibited activities (spotting
clusters, phantom ops, etc) in the unassisted categories.

On the other hand, it does seem odd to me that we get all bent out of
shape about automating reception when we've been fully automating
transmission for years.  I type in three letters from someone's
callsign, get the rest of it and his report and his zone filled in for
me, hit the enter key, and the other guy's callsign and my report are
sent without me even having to look at the screen to see what I've
sent.  Both reception and transmission are required for a valid contact,
but we seem to feel that the only valid skills for the operator are on
the reception side.  I find that curious.  I suspect that the
mechanization of transmission simply occurred more gradually and was
less disruptive.

As I've said before, I like seeing new technologies show up on the
scene.  We're mostly discussing/arguing how and where they fit in to the
hobby (not whether), and once the rule making bodies catch up to the
real world we'll have our answer.

73,
Dave   AB7E