[CQ-Contest] Software for Multiple Contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Software for Multiple Contests
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:10:07 EDT
The problem of logging software handling more than one contest at a time is
not limited to state QSO Parties.

The best example of this is probably  the second weekend in September, when
there is the WAE SSB, the ARRL VHF QSO  Party, the NA SSB Sprint, and the
Tennessee QSO Party. And probably some RTTY  contest as well.

There is no way these contests could share the same  exchange.

What the world needs now is a software package that will run  multiple
contests.

I'm not a programmer, nor do I play one on TV, but  what I envision is
something like this:

An extra field in the  logging line, when running multiple contests, that
would switch between  contests.  Something like:

LINE        TIME    CONTEST     BAND     MODE      CALL          SENT
RECEIVED

1              0001      WAE              7           SSB      G4BUO      59
001     59   231
2              0002      WAE               7           SSB       IR4T
   59 002     59   313
3              0004      SPR             7           SSB      K7RAT        1
JIM       7  TREE    OR
4              0007      VHF             144        CW        K8GP
EN91       FM08
5              0009      SPR               14          SSB      K5TR
2  JIM       12 GEO TX

The contest field would either be a direct entry ("VHF") or a toggle
("CTL-Something"). It would stay the same until switched, so you don't have to
make
an extra entry unless the guy you work is in a different contest than the
previous qso.

A lot of the fun in contesting, whether full or part time, is seeing how  you
are doing in real time.  So when you change the contest field, the
appropriate windows for scoring, multipliers, exchange memories, etc., would
pop  up
for that particular contest.

When the contests are over, it ought not be a difficult problem to  sort out
each contest into its appropriate log, saving a lot of clutter at the  log
checking and reporting end.

I for one am a lot more inclined to pass out qsos in a contest if I can  keep
track of all the normal information. Last weekend I heard some Italians in
the ARI contest, but never called.  With functioning logging software in  front
of me I probably would have.

I for one am eagerly waiting.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

favorites at AOL Food.