Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge (Randy Thompson)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge (Randy Thompson)
From: Bob Henderson <bob@5b4agn.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 06:03:52 +0000
I have a proposal for the rule makers which addresses what I perceive to
be the major threat to the future of contesting.

I love contesting and have enjoyed it for over 40 years.  I cherish the
difference in character between CW, SSB & Data mode events and the
different skills required for success in each.  I believe emerging
technologies pose significant threat to the survival of these
differences and risk setting us on a path at the end of which all will
have converged to become data mode events managed by sheer computing power.

A simple step is all that is required to prevent this, so sustaining the
requirement for operator skill and ensuring survival of the character of
these different events.

Human decoding and transcription of signals in the unassisted category
of CW & SSB events should be mandated.  Use of any kind of machine
capable of receiving CW or SSB signals and converting them to data
should be specifically prohibited.

Vive la difference!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F