[CQ-Contest] Skimmer, Emotions, Rules etc...

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer, Emotions, Rules etc...
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 02:16:32 -0400
My 2c:

- One of the basis and reasons for the amateur service is to innovate and
advance the radio art.  No matter our interest in ham radio -- be it
contesting or otherwise, we should not forget this fact.   IMHO, We should
never ban any piece of new technology because we think it might hurt our
(personal) self interest.  I do understand, however, that we live in the
real world, and emotions rule many.

- There is much over-reaction to Skimmer.   It's the "Sky is falling"
scenario.   Those on contest committees are well aware of Skimmer.  I
believe they will let Skimmer play for a while (at least a cycle of
contests), and see if it "skews" scores, especially in single-op
categories.  (K5ZD has taken this approach with WPX).   If it does, then
perhaps, but only perhaps, some rules changes may be in order.   However,
let's wait and see.

- There is plenty of room for the bare-bones CW-by-the-ears,
send-with-the-keyer,log-with-paper boys.... as well as state-of-the-art
technology ploys.  To me, that's what makes this such an interesting hobby.
In fact, I do some contests with the former and others with the latter.

73, Gerry W1VE
    -- 1976 SS as WA4UUX, using an Eico 7-drifty-three, a WB4VVF Accukeyer,
paper logs, and a 40m dipole at 20 feet.
    -- 2008 ARRL DX @ K1IR, State-of-the-art rigs, amps, antennas, station
control, real-time Internet scoring, etc, etc, etc
    -- Same fun, it just keeps getting better...