[CQ-Contest] SDR/Skimmer on another continent = REMOTE RECEIVER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SDR/Skimmer on another continent = REMOTE RECEIVER
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:02:43 -0500
K1TTT wrote:

>not going to happen... in fact, some nodes are now >offering skimmer spots to
>local users.  It won't be long before we get the filters a bit better and they
>will be loose in the world wide network and indistinguishable from operator
>entered spots, there won't be any way for anyone to know if it was skimmed or
>human entered....  this another push to kill the whole packet network in
>disguise??

Disguise - That is a good idea but I can't take credit for being that
innovative in this case.

I did not know it would be disguised so you could not tell remote
receiver/Skimmer from a human packet spot.

Curious as to whether you have clicked on the option to provide ALL callsigns
copied  - not just the ones calling CQ.

That remote receiver hooked to a SDR in Europe will really be helpful when you
have a pileup on 80M and can't quite copy most of them from the USA!

Perhaps that is too much technological help?  If so, how do you propose
preventing it from happening?

W4TV Wrote:

>It is possible to argue that remotely located skimmers >and "off site" human
>spotters represent remote >receivers that are illegal is all current contest
>classes.  >While that is beyond the scope of this discussion - at >least in
>terms of the human spotter component - it >perhaps merits some consideration
>in any discussion of >connecting automatic receivers to the packet network.

As much as many would like for packet to go away I expect it will not, unless
K1TTT facilitates its demise by integrating Skimmer in such a way that users
find themselves in a remote receiving situation.

I think there is a big difference in a voluntary packet spot, usually not
automatically filtered by SCP, low percentage of stations getting spotted, etc.
and a RECEIVER (SDR) located on another continent (REMOTE RECEIVER) with a CODE
READER (SKIMMER) filtered by SCP that either gives you everyone it hears
calling CQ or everything it hears, even those calling on your run frequency
depending on Skimmer software mode..

Regardless of whether you are listening to the audio over Skype, or using a
code reader to print the information copied on your computer screen, you are
using a remote receiver to help you copy stations that you may not quite be
able to copy at your local QTH.  In that regard it is the same as packet except
for the volume which is 100% instead of a very small fraction of that.

W4TV Wrote:

>I believe that a format can be developed that specifies >a minimum level of
>human involvement to prevent the >robot machine situation.

It sounds like you want to prevent technology from advancing to the point of
ruining the sport.  That is good.  How would you propose preventing it from
occurring?.

Stan, K5GO