Re: [CQ-Contest] remote use of Skimmer data

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] remote use of Skimmer data
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:23:22 +0000
The spots of stations calling cq are exactly equivalent to human entered dx
spots from the same station, you can not tell them apart (unless you do
busted call analysis on them at this point)... as has even been argued by
many on the side that argues that spots are assistance.    The concept of a
remote receiver comes in if you try to use the non-cq spots to 'hear'
stations calling you.  While I can't believe that would really be much of a
help, I do believe it would fall under the category of a remote receiver
rather than dx alerting.

I think there is definitely significant value to any multi-op in that it
will fill in the band map more completely than human filtered spots.  Humans
tend to only spot interesting stuff, but for those trying to maximize scores
you need to see new qso's as well as new multipliers... and even common
multipliers on rare bands.  As I also have pointed out, skimmer spots WILL
end up in the normal spotting network once the filtering and logistics have
been worked out.  Some nodes already offer them on a limited basis.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net