Re: [CQ-Contest] Eliminate SO Unassisted?

To: 'Robert Chudek - K0RC' <k0rc@pclink.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Eliminate SO Unassisted?
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:59:28 -0600
You do not need cw skills to get a licence any longer.  However, this
DOES NOT prevent you from acquiring cw skills.  If you wish to enter a
cw contest, train yourself in cw, regardless of what you did to get a
licence.  The change in licensing requirements may reduce the number of
future cw enthusiasts, but does not prevent you from training in cw.

IMO some rules were changed to make amateur radio more like, cough,
cough, CB, and supposedly attract more people to amateur radio in face
of heavy competition from other technology.