Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:23:26 -0400
Pete,

(The following is my opinion. I don't represent or speak for ARRL):

If you drop the requirement that both stations participating in the QSO be
LoTW members, then it's quite easy to impersonate another station or even
make up a call sign. You say the impersonator would have to borrow someone
else's LoTW certificate, but that's only the case if both stations must be
LoTW members. If, as you say, only one should suffice, then the one who
doesn't have to be an LoTW member can be an impersonator -- with ease.

Here's the scenario (or threat model, as we say in the biz): I make up call
sign UA0DLG, which is from the rare Birobidzhan Oblast. Last time I was in
that very remote part of Russia (2 1/2 years ago, to adopt my son), I didn't
see any ham antennas, and I've never worked anyone from Biro in a contest.
So it's less likely that the call sign would raise any suspicions among
local hams. But I don't even bother to get on the air during the contest. I
simply log QSOs for a handful of stations with whom I've made prior
arrangements. They log UA0DLG with the same pre-arranged QSO information.
These stations are all LoTW members, and I've made a financial deal with
them to get credit for Birobidzhan. We all submit our contest logs, and the
contest sponsor unwittingly verifies that the QSOs have taken place. Logs
for the LoTW members are uploaded by the "trusted" contest sponsor, and LoTW
gives them full credit for the QSO with UA0DLG. ARRL doesn't care about
oblasts, so the rare one doesn't pop up on their radar screen. Sometime
later, the "Worked All Oblasts on Saturday" award makes a deal with ARRL to
accept LoTW credits.

The system has been compromised.

Note that Joe's suggestion, having the contest sponsor sign (vouch for) the
records, doesn't work. The contest sponsor has no way of detecting that
UA0DLG is a bogus call. Unfortunately, many countries do not have easily
accessible licensee databases that can be used to verify existence of a call
sign. Besides, the perpetrator could hijack an existing call sign from
someone he/she knows to be inactive.

Now, there are a few holes in the scenario, but I wanted to illustrate
roughly how it could be done. Using a rare call sign might, in fact, be
detected (probably accidentally) by the contest sponsor or ARRL. But you can
see how an inconspicuous call sign could get by unnoticed. Many would say,
"Who cares if someone is handing out free credits for France? That's an easy
one." Well, we certainly considered that argument. My feeling was that any
evidence that bogus credits could be generated, even if they were for
non-rare entities, would undermine confidence in LoTW, and by extension,
DXCC.

Just imagine: We all know there are people out there who dislike the ARRL
(to put it mildly.) Perhaps it was because DXCC rejected their 9U/F5FHI card
(Oh, wait a minute, that was me... ;-) Maybe they're just malcontents. Some
of them would like to see DXCC, LoTW, and/or the ARRL get a black eye. After
spoofing the system with a scam like the one above, the person sends an
anonymous message to the cq-contest reflector from a free hotmail account
announcing that he/she has busted LoTW security, and providing links to a
hacked website containing screen shots and scans proving the deception. It
can all be done without the identity of the perpetrator being detectable.

Of course, an LoTW member can perpetrate a similar fraud by lying about QSOs
that never took place, or about the location from which the QSOs were made
(as did the famous Romeo.) But the perpetrator must be the actual owner of
the call sign, or must be in collusion with the person who owns the call
sign, or must be willing to break the law to get the LoTW private key (mail
fraud, breaking and entering, etc.) The odds are good that we're going to
find out the identity of the perpetrator, and we can delete the account and
ban that person from DXCC and LoTW for life.

One of the primary goals of LoTW is to prevent bogus or fraudulent records
from polluting the LoTW or DXCC database. LoTW works on the premise that the
identities of all participants are authenticated (known, more or less), and
that all QSO records are indelibly stamped with an unalterable code that
leads back to that authenticated identity. If one of the two participating
stations is excused from that requirement, based on the contest sponsor's
vouching for the identity of the license holder, then the contest sponsor's
authentication system needs to be at least as rigorous as LoTW's.

Is this overkill for a hobby? Some will say so. But given the passions that
have always surrounded DXCC, not to mention the many millions of dollars and
millions of hours spent in pursuit of the awards, it's much more than a
hobby. It has become a worldwide institution and the most respected award in
ham radio. That's worth perhaps going a little overboard to protect. The
most persuasive argument I can make for LoTW's current level of security is
that if we start out with a relatively tight system, and the hurdles becomes
too onerous for the users, we always have the option of relaxing the
security requirements -- especially as new data and technology become
available (e.g., reliable online license databases in other countries.) But
if we start out with loose requirements that allow the database to be
compromised, we may never be able to repair the damage, and may never be
able to make the system more secure.

73, Dick WC1M