Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:30:26 -0700
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:50:44PM -0400, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Gerry,
>
> > This debate will effect ARRL, not CQ.  I'm going to lobby
> > ARRL CAC to make logs public, but simply obfuscate the exact
> > callsigns from the Cabrillo file (a very simple task).   In
> > this way, they can, in no way, be used for QSL manipulation,
> > but, lots of other interesting data can be mined.
>
> The Cabrillo header will also need to be removed.
>
> By the way, this would be a perfect solution for CQ as well ...
> convert all calls to random 9 digit sequence.  Each log
> could be assigned the 9 digit ID and any time that call
> appeared in any log it would be replaced.  By obfuscating the
> calls, any log made public would no longer be individually
> identifiable  which would solve most of the privacy concerns.

Doing so, however, would defeat one of the main reasons for open
logs in the first place, ensuring a fair log adjudication process.
Not ten days ago, on this very reflector, some specific examples
were brought up that led K3EST to thank people for helping the CQWW
CC improve the accuracy of the log adjudication process.  As that
particular problem involved subtle errors in call signs, changing
call signs to arbitrary IDs would have prevented that problem
from ever being detected.

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/