[CQ-Contest] Clarification of question re angle of received signals

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Clarification of question re angle of received signals
From: "Tony Rogozinski" <trogo@telegraphy.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:27:43 -0500
I should have explained the issue in a bit more detail.  The hill is about
10-12 degrees wide on the
great circle map - from about 342 to 355 which from here at the widest point
in the USA would
reach from Minnesota to Western New York and also VE4 then far northern
Canada and Siberia.

The dimensions I state include the fact that the antenna will be at an
elevation of 140' so the angle
being measured is from the antenna to the top of the hill.

The terrain drops off from the antenna about 200' toward the hill then rises
fairly rapidly.  The hill
is rather smooth and levels off at the top for about 500' then drops off
steeply about 1,000' or
more.

Several have suggested that long haul signals can arrive at angles of 1
degree which is hard to
believe but I guess it's true.  However in my mind signals from the USA to
Colombia would be
arriving at angles higher than 5 degrees.  It is only 2,600 miles from where
I am in HK to Toronto
Canada.   I am not at all sure about the arrival angle of signals on 80/160
meters - how would
it differ on those frequencies?

I've downloaded the YTAD program from the ARRL website but haven't had time
to play with it.

73

                       Tony Rogozinski
 Amateur Radio W4OI - W4AMR - HK1AR - HK7AR
            LICENSED FOR OVER 51 YEARS
         EX-N7BG, K5LMJ, K4KES, WA6BOU,
       W6JPC W7HZF, F7BK, VP5AR, VQ9AR,
          OJ0/N7BG, CN2BG, 5V7BG, TY5AR