Re: [CQ-Contest] New ARRL Benefit and a Contesting Challenge

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New ARRL Benefit and a Contesting Challenge
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:02:08 -0400
At 07:00 PM 9/9/2008, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:30:27PM -0400, Michael Keane K1MK wrote:
>
> > My nominee for best contest results write-up is "Results: 1976 ARRL
> > International DX Competition" by  Jim Cain WA1STN (K1TN) dfrom Oct 1976
> > QST p. 79 <http://p1k.arrl.org/cgi-bin/topdf.cgi?id=68563&pub=qst>
>
>Wow.  Even ignoring the line scores, that article is at least twice as
>long as any results article published in recent years.

When I started reading it, I realized that this one had long lingered in my
memory as one of the best ever.  Thanks for finsinmg it again, Ken.

BTW, one reason for the length is that it covers both CW and Phone, but if
I were the editor I'd have found room regardless.  The personal details
about the winners is priceless.  I particularly liked reading tidbits like
KC4AAC's saga of barely getting his (the op now known as K1KI) logs on the
last mailboat for 6 months.  It was also fun to read about  W3LPL's CW win
as a single-op, and his third in phone despite the fact that he "claims not
to own a microphone."

When you think about it, it is fairly amazing that so much fun information
got into the magazine - the Internet hasn't necessarily improved
communication very much, on this evidence.

73, Pete N4ZR