[CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?
From: "José Nunes CT1BOH" <ct1boh@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:25:24 +0000
The answer is indeed practice, practice, practice.

But I'm not talking only about the kind of practice you would expect.
I'm talking about Mental Practice and visualisation as well.

 Unfortunately since I moved into a Condo building four years ago, I'm not
able to have an SO2R set up at home, so my SO2R activities are resumed to
once a year in CQWW CW.
Running is practice, practice, and this requires making QSOs either real or
in a simulator, but SO2R has a lot to do with the ability to constantly
shift focus attention from one radio into the other, and this can be trained
off the radio mentally.

My practice is:
I try to at least do 50 QSOs every day with Morse Runner simulator, pile-up
@ 45 WPM with 6 stations calling, after that I mentally role play about 10
QSO while SO2R, thinking about the shift of focus and what to do in every
moment of the QSO. This takes about 15 minutes, and I usually do this after
I wake up, before checking the news in the computer, just before I go out
work.

Every time I go to a Restaurant or I'm at a place with a lot of people
talking, I jump focus my ears back and forward into every distinct person I
hear talking. If for instance I spot 5 persons talking, I try to do the
following  focusing exercise: jump my focus attention from Person1
to 2,3,2,3,4,3,4,5. Anyone can do this is in a matter of seconds.

Anyway, hope to hear you guys, in real from CS9M Madeira next CQWW CW.

José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh