Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

To: ve4xt@mts.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?
From: "Alfred Frugoli" <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:56:11 -0400
I would also agree, and point out that waiting doesn't always have to do
with "the other radio" and an operator that's not ready for "prime time".
Maybe the call processing takes some time.  Maybe checking for dupe?  Maybe
turning an antenna?  Maybe somebody just trying to have fun in a contest?
Maybe making a correction to the last qso?  Maybe trying to hear another
call in the pileup?

Back to the main topic though, I would agree that "data analysis" can go a
long way in improving contest fun and scores.  I've learned a lot from
pouring over large MM logs (such as K1TTT) or operating at one.  It has
taught me a whole lot about propagation and band openings, since if the band
is open, a big MM is probably working stuff.

I would also agree that running lower power is a huge help in improving S&P
skills.  I don't have a huge station (low tribander and wires), but I feel
very successful at getting through pileups based on the skills with timing
and how to send my call that I've learned running a less than top notch
station.

In the end, let's all have fun - especially this weekend in SSCW.

73 de Al, KE1FO from beautiful Vermont

-----
Visit my amateur radio contesting blog at ke1fo.wordpress.com.