Re: [CQ-Contest] Dollars/qso score

To: phriendly1@yahoo.com, ulli.grunow@ospreyribs.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dollars/qso score
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:12:04 EST
Ulli, Julius,

We talked about this in one of the articles for Contesting on a Budget  in
NCJ a few years back.  I think that with some careful budgeting and  planning,
you could do well with much less.

You can find old computers and monitors almost for free, software is next  to
nothing. For less than $100.00 you can probably find a computer and software
that will work.

Used radios are not expensive, but you should find something with computer
control.  The Icom 735 is still an OK radio and interfaces easily.   I've seen
them for as little as $350 stock, or $400 with a filter.  I'd  recommend a
pair of inexpensive radios in an SO2R arrangement over a single,  more
expensive
radio.

Wire antennas can be very competitive.  Spools of wire are cheap on  eBay, I
buy the milspec, teflon-covered silver-plated copper-stranded wire for
pennies a foot.  You can do wonders with low wires and wire beams!

You can make your own balanced feedline and wind your own baluns
inexpensively.  Cheap lightweight mast?  Use the thinnest schedule PVC  you can
find, buy
a can of "Great Stuff", make a telescoping mast about 28' long  with three
diameters of PVC, drill a small hole every foot and shoot the Great  Stuff in,
let it harden and you have a very rigid mast for inverted vees and  other wire
antennas.  If you wish, you can even embed 300 ohm ladder line  inside the
mast before you shoot the foam inside, from what I can  tell, Great Stuff has
pretty decent dielectric properties.

What I've described is a SO2R station for around $1000.  You may not  make
the top ten box, but you certainly can do well.  I think this  topic might
warrant more investigation, and Ralph, K9ZO, is the new  columnist for
Contesting
on a Budget.  I've copied him on this if he  wants to pursue it further.

Paul, K5AF

  In a message dated 12/1/2008 9:46:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,