Re: [CQ-Contest] Dollars/qso score

To: "'Ulli Grunow'" <ulli.grunow@ospreyribs.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dollars/qso score
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:44:22 -0000
An interesting way to look at it Ulli.

Probably the most valuable component of any station is the location!  You
could spend much less money in EA8 or P40 and make big scores than doing the
same in OH4 or JA9.

There is also the concept of time.  My coworkers always ask how much money
it costs to have a big station.  I tell them my station cost $2000 per year,
but done over 20 years time!

Once you have a good location, then it is a matter of having a plan and
doing a new piece of the plan each year.  So it doesn't always have to be
about spending big amounts of money (although it is faster and easier that
way).

And, as we all know, the station doesn't make the QSOs.  That requires an
operator with some skills.

Unfortunately, contesting is not fair.  We are all operating from our own
part of the world with our own location/equipment.  There are many ways to
try and create categories for comparison.  $$$ (or Euros) per point may not
be the optimum way to make the maximum score, but it does make for some fun
conversations and may give ideas of new ways to do things with the money we
have.

73,

Randy, K5ZD