Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ contests results

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ contests results
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:47:05 -0500
"Why we still have to wait eleven months to know the definitive results?"

Even though I know nothing about how the humans do the job, or even who they
are, or about computers, I'll add to DL8MBS comments:

* We still have to acommodate paper logs, which we expect the submitter to
"dupe" by hand >>after<< the contest, and then submit by paper mail.  And then
the checkers have to enter the log (or at least part of it) in the database, or
check the log by hand.

* Some rare stations might work only a few QSOs, and not submit a log.  Those
few multipliers might make a difference in the standings.  Proper ajudication
could require contacting those stations -- who might not have e-mail -- to
verify claimed QSOs.  Or the Committee will have to decide some other way which
competitors get credit and which do not.

* When a log does have issues -- whether technical or ethical -- the
>>volunteer<< Committee that resolves the issue is geographically dispersed.
Even with modern communication it can take several days to decide each question.

* The checkers results must themselves be reviewed several times before
publication.

* The Committee must deal with internal issues that they (properly) do not make
public.  Yes, there are lots of opportunities for volunteer help.  But, based
on my experience with volunteerism in other fields, not everybody who
volunteeers is actually a help.

73, Art K3KU