Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:22:03 -0500
At 12:11 AM 1/30/2009, George Fremin III wrote:
>I think open logs are great.  I have only looked at a few.  I do not
>see how publishing the logs assumes that everyone or anyone is
>cheating. If anything it opens up the entire log checking process a
>bit more - by allowing anyone to look at the logs and even do their
>own log checking if they desire.
>
>I rarely look at anyones logs but I will willing share my logs with
>anyone.  I only wish the ARRL would follow CQ's lead with open logs.

What George said... A few years ago, I suggested that CQ and the ARRL enter
into an agreement so that confirmed CQWW QSOs (cross-checked in both logs)
would be entered into Logbook of the World and accepted for award
credit.  At the time, the CQWW Committee was unwilling to release "a single
QSO" to anyone outside, so the idea went nowhere.

I don't know what prompted the reversal of policy, but I'm grateful for
it.  Maybe ARRL will follow suit and this idea can go somewhere.  I really
don't see how it can be anything but good for contesters and certificate
collectors.

73, Pete N4ZR