Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes -Automatic Fill - 93 or 67

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes -Automatic Fill - 93 or 67
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:25:33 -0500
Joe wrote:

> I don't know,, just seems weird to me not to actually use what the rules
> instruct the entrant to do.

And most of us will.

They just wanted people to come up with 2 numbers to be an exchange. If
numbers are chosen by the individual Op without guidelines, you can be
they will choose 55. If everyone is choosing that, then it is as dumb
and useless an exchange as 599.

So someone figured "why not use the date they were first licensed?" And
there you have it. People licensed in 1955 still have a very small
advantage, but no one cares all that much, and most people will use the
proper year. But neither ARRL or the rest of us should care too much,
because all they want is 2 numbers to be sure the exchange is made.

Auto entering the numbers from previous years is not an exchange, so
people shouldn't bust Hans' chops - he's just pointing out lazy operating.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -