Re: [CQ-Contest] The damn robot won

To: K0HB <K0HB@ARRL.ORG>,"CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>, "tcdxa" <tcdxa-list@tcdxa.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The damn robot won
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:34:52 -0400
As one of those who worked on improving Skimmer's spotting accuracy
last summer, after the first pileup competition showed Skimmer
finishing tied for 67th, winning by 10 QSOs in a competition normally
settled by one or 2 Qs is sweet vindication.  We didn't do anything
to speed up how fast Skimmer recognizes calls (in fact we slowed it
down), concentrating instead on avoiding busted calls.  I guess (but
don't know) that busted calls are subtracted from good calls to
arrive at a score, which would explain why last year was so bad.

It would be interesting to hear more from the organizers, and
also/particularly from the person who drove Skimmer to this win.  I'm
especially curious which validation level was used - I'm betting on "Paranoid."

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com