Re: [CQ-Contest] S&P Rate

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] S&P Rate
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:17:58 -0000
S&P results differ depending on the contest and the situation.  For the CQWW
CW the last two years, I have started the contest by doing S&P on 40m.

In 2007, my first hour was an 87.  Most on 40 meters, but then a pass across
80m.  In 2008, the first hour was 116.  That's probably as good as it gets.
Looking at the log, I was working multiple stations per minute and per Khz.
So it must have been a very target rich environment.  I also had the luxury
of knowing every station I called was a new QSO so I didn't always have to
get their call before I called them!

I once worked 62 stations in 40 minutes during a 10 meter opening to South
America in a CQWW SSB contest.  Again, lots of loud signals and all fresh
meat.

What slows down S&P is the second pass up the band or after you have worked
a lot stations.  Each one you hear, you have to check to see if they have
already been worked.  That takes time.

When doing SO2R, the rate you can do on the second radio is directly a
function of how busy you are on the run radio.  I find that if I can make
10-15 QSOs per hour on the second radio, that is a lot. But, there are cases
in contests like Sweepstakes where I have made as many QSOs on the second
radio doing S&P as I did on the run radio.

Randy, K5ZD