Re: [CQ-Contest] S&P Rate

To: Tõnno <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>, 'Dick Green WC1M' <wc1m73@gmail.com>, 'Randy Thompson K5ZD' <k5zd@charter.net>, 'Pete Smith' <n4zr@contesting.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] S&P Rate
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:11:19 -0400
I'll answer this one point that Tonno raises - CQing v. S&P at the start of the
contest.

I've tried runnning at 0000z and have met little success at doing it.  Unlike
the rest of the world, single ops in the USA are one of many.  Psychologically,
CQWW is a DX contest with lots of USA stations playing .  That means that 1) DX
stations tend to gravitate towards working other DX stations because you never
know what might happen tothe power at that station at some point in the contest
and god forbid you miss working V3 on 40 meters, and 2) USA stations avoid USA
stations because there is NO value to working a USA station at 000z when you
can work hundreds of them at any point in the contest.

When you're one of 10 stations from a DXCC entity, you can run and generate
immediate responses.  When you're one of 1500 stations from a DXCC entity,
you're simply one of 1500 stations - just louder.

73 Rich NN3W