Re: [CQ-Contest] S+P rates: apples vs oranges?

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] S+P rates: apples vs oranges?
From: Clive Whelan <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 18:04:12 +0000
If you are a big gun, there is unlikely to be a better rate achieved
than in run mode ( caveat it's obviously easier in ES than in the USA),
but if you're not (and I am decidedly not- 400w and 2els at 30ft) then
even from a " rare" location like ES or GW ( populations are about the
same btw) you can easily get blown away by the chaos at the off. Thus it
is often more productive to go S&P for an hour or so, when even with
aforesaid modest station, 90 p.h. is by no means unrealistic since
almost every station is fresh meat. More than that is pretty difficult
because of the twin overheads of (a) Physical tuning and finding of
stations and (b) getting beaten to the draw by a bigger gun. If you are
a big gun then (b) is not a problem, and if you are using cluster or
skimmer, then (a) is minimised. In those circumstances I think 120 p.h.
is quite realistic but probably not sustainable for too long.

Once the initial hubbub has died down however, there is no substitute
for being in run mode ( two exclusive S&P stations will never even hear
each other), even for the small pistol ( not derringer N.B.) in other
than very common locations, since rates of 180 p.h. are achievable
hour-on-hour in the majors such as CQWW or ARRL DX ( particularly the
latter), and short term rates of 240 p.h. are not uncommon. The latter
rate is not sustainable for the small pistol however since he is not
generating sufficient callers for the perfect pile up- viz no blank
periods at all.

My comments refer specifically to CW as I have no experience of SSB (
does it work at all for the small pistol?)

73

Clive
GW3NJW