Re: [CQ-Contest] 7040 as lower limit

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 7040 as lower limit
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 23:29:24 +0000
Good on GI0NWG, at least there is _one_ amateur in IARU R1
who understands that the IARU R1 band plan is nothing more
than a band plan.

At the IARU R3 Bangalore conference where a paper calling on
language of tolerance be added to the IARU R1 band plan was
being discussed, when the oft-repeated "this band plan is binding
somewhere" claim was queried, the only example that was put
forward was Russia.

And indeed, from what I was able to find today, Russians can't
operate SSB below 7040 kc.  There also seems to be a pretty
big power restriction on 160m.

That makes Russia (7040), Japan (7025) & USA (dunno where
you lot can go now) as the countries I'm aware of that place
restrictions on where on 40m one may operate SSB.

Of course, you can't be in breach of your licence if you don't
have one.  Does any contest's rule specifically mention
participants have to be licensed?  ;^)

73, ex-VR2BG/p.