[CQ-Contest] Control Operators

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Control Operators
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:20:22 -0700
I am a little amazed at the level of detail the discussion about control
operators.  I almost need to hire a lawyer now to really understand the
situation.

However, I think it is really so simple that there must be some other
explanation for all the words written.  Like lack of a contest or sunspots.

Simple?  Yeah - "doing the right thing" simply states that if you are a
general class - you don't get to operate in the extra band - unless you are
operating like an unlicensed person.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is just
fooling themselves.

Whatever happened to common sense? Of course - the FCC doesn't have the
ability to really determine who was operating where and when when hiding
behind another callsign - so this is like a totally unenforced rule.

Which just means YOU get to decide what you want to do.  Just like how
much power you are going to run or use packet and claim unassisted.  This
whole discussion is rather academic in that regard.  If your moral compass
isn't working - then you will do the wrong thing.

Speaking of contests - the WPX CW contest was a lot of fun.  If you missed
it, too bad.  However there will be another chance to "enjoy" summertime
conditions in the IARU contest.  The Boring station is working on a NEW
TOWER (first one in 17 years) so I can better string a 2 element wire quad
on 40 meters.  My temporary one played really well to the east coast during
the WPX and I want to make it more permanent - and even get it up a bit
higher.

It even appears that I can add a director to it - to make a 3 element Quagi
and get a couple more db of gain.  This antenna will be on display during
the IARU contest for you enjoyment.  And if you have six meters - get on
this weekend and practice saying your grid square.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR