Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW/Encouraging contest participation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW/Encouraging contest participation
From: WT2P <fredwt2p@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:00:11 -0400
I'm apparently late to this party and I see there's several threads at
play here:

1) On LOTW... I have not signed up for it partially due to the fact that
there were so many hoops to jump through. That's probably something I
can't change, so....

2) On "contest time windows"... Before my hiatus OTA (off the air) to
deal with the wonderful thing called "life" (work, moving across the
country, fighting for my job since 2007, etc.etc.) .. I'd do the entire
contest. I actually got a thrill out of it! Of course I was a lot
younger, and as I begin to hit the 30 wall I cannot do a full 36/48
anymore. Will that diminish my desire to get into a contest and even
make a concerted effort to try to win? See below...

No. If I don't want to win, I know that at least I can get on the air
and perhaps work a few new ones, spend some time away from the
nag-source (hope she's not reading this), or even work a few old friends
(I used to work W4AN on 40M late nights then spend a good hour or two
listening to him work other stations and try to study his style).

If I want to put a serious effort, knowing my frontier constraints
(mainly fatigue, now), I'll craft a plan around it. How to best maximize
my waking hours spent in front of the radio. Perhaps do a Single Band
entry (1999), or come up with a comprehensive plan based on writeups
from stations in my area, even taking into account *my* station
limitations (if they're so horrible and I still want to make a serious
effort, i'll guest op or go help someone who wants to win, i.e. m-m or
m-2).

To illustrate my point, in the years in which I was a budding contester
(young, energetic, naive, jim cramer crazy, etc.) I likened that to
slapping a ton of crap on the wall hoping one would stick. The full 48,
balls to the wall contesting. I didn't have a strategy per-se, and many
times I found myself missing key time windows (and mults). I didn't
listen well, and surely that contributed to missing some valuable
points/openings. Now, I have to recognize my strengths and weaknesses
and create a *strategy* around it. You can still win or come damn close
to it if you have a game plan which includes being in the right place at
the right time. I contend that even the non-serious contester who has
the aforementioned nag-source and other life commitments can still do
reasonably well, and may even shock themselves if they spend a couple
hours before a contest researching old results, reading a bit of
writeups (see my final point below), and coming up with a game plan to
maximize their effectiveness on the air and choose the category best
that fits their station profile.

my last point:
I get a lot of use from the writeups, no matter how small. It's fun to
see what other people experienced during the contest. It also helps me
craft a strategy for use in other contests as well.

So, in closing:
First, I haven't signed up for LOTW mostly because I am lazy to jump
through all of the hoops. It's on my to-do list, along with a few other
things that in my mind rank higher on the priority list. Second,
participation by the 'casual contester' (or The Joes for you  Pros vs.
Joes fanatics, myself included) can be increased by perhaps giving a
demonstration at a local club meeting on contesting game plans: taking
into account you and your station's limitations, doing a bit of
comparable analysis for the class you want to participate in, deciding
whether or not to be serious, and all that other stuff I mentioned
above. Finally, show them the FUN in it and share some memorable moments
(I have lots of memorable contest moments that are quite funny and would
get a crowd laughing).

73,
2p, ex. YO