[CQ-Contest] Self spotting rationale

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting rationale
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:17:55 -0500
This isn't a rhetorical question.

How / why was the "no self spotting" rule created in the first place? Was it a
knee-jerk reaction to the introduction of new technology at the time spotting
networks began to flourish? What actual purpose does this rule serve? Whatever
that purpose, is it outdated by technology?

The use of the spotting networks automatically classifies a participant as
"assisted" in the first place. To the non-assisted participants, why would they
care whether stations were self-spotting or not? When I operate in the
non-assisted category I don't care what is going on with the spotting network.

To the participants in the "assisted" category, why not let them spot their
brains out? Other than saturating the spotting network I don't see a down-side
to this. If an assisted station spotted themselves once every X minutes, many
things would "fall into place."

First, there would be fewer busted calls being spotted. Second, assisted
operators would know which bands were being used by the self spotter (are they
operating 10 meters right now or not?). Third, self spotting timers could
evolve in contest software to spot on a predetermined schedule. Fourth, David's
spotting reports would not be necessary to see who was breaking the rules.
Fifth, I wouldn't have to worry whether my call would appear on a report as
"helping my team mates in our contest club" when I spot the members. (I have
basically quit spotting anyone compared to the early days of the spotting
network.)

I can only imagine if Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart were not allowed to
advertise their stores were open for business and what times you would find
them open. I think the "no self spotting" rule is absurd.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN