Re: [CQ-Contest] Vista OS

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Vista OS
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:12:26 -0400
On Aug 7, 2009, at 12:09 PM, K0HB wrote:

> Sometime soon I need to pull the trigger on a new PC for the shack.
>
> Critical applications will be:
>
> WriteLog (current V10.72E)
> Logger32 (current V3.20)
> microHAM Router (current V7.2.4)
>
> Is there any style of VISTA that I should avoid?

Vista will be an interesting experience - I would wait until Windows 7
is out. This isn't an endorsement of W7, though if you have a choice,
get a machine that can be upgraded to XP.

If you get a Vista machine, I would suggest new peripherals, as many
perfectly good peripherals do not have Vista driver support.

I personally wouldn't - even though I have a Vista laptop I bought for
learning purposes. There is a reason that most of the pros don't adopt
Vista into the professional environment. And that is a professional
opinion.

-73 de Mike N3LI -