Re: [CQ-Contest] K4RO on cheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K4RO on cheating
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:07:29 +0000 (GMT)
There have been several really good posts on cheating, and this one by K4RO is
one the
best.  Here is a great excerpt:

[snip]
The truth
is that cheaters will continue to find new ways to cheat, but we
should make it as difficult on them as possible. Don't operate with
cheaters. Don't nod your head or look the other way if you hear people
bragging about it.
[snip]

So...what about you contest clubs?  Are you happy to accept those scores from
club
members who you KNOW are cheating?  Who you KNOW are running SOUP?  Contest
clubs
are the life-blood of contesting...they generate more "new" contesters than any
other
source (so say I).  Yet, by "looking the other way," what message is sent?

I dare say that virtually every big contest club knows who they are, but do
nothing and
gladly add those scores to their total.  Is your contest club about generating
and fielding
world-class ops or about submitting a "winning" score?

de Doug KR2Q