[CQ-Contest] Station Inspections

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections
From: "James Cain" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:07:14 -0400
In my book, "YASME: The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions" (ARRL, 2003),
Chapter 16, page 77, is entitled "The FCC Comes to Visit W6KG." I drew from
documents and correspondence to describe a visit by the FCC to Lloyd and Iris
Colvin's California station during the 1958 ARRL International DX Competition,
CW.

I also drew from a very funny story about the incident that Lloyd published in
QST for May, 1958, page 66, a story that included two cartoons by the legendary
Gil Gildersleeve, W1JCD. I reprinted one of those cartoons in my book (the
original was in the Colvins' archives).

You can read the QST article on line, or buy my book from the arrl.

A story like Lloyd's would never get published in QST today.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation