Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest

To: K1AR@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:39:23 -0400
Hi John

For any new contesters, I would highly recommend the following:
http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Main_Page

I would also recommend
http://www.w9smc.com/newsletters.htm

This is the Society of Midwest Contesters home page, and includes links to
many other contesting clubs.  The best part is that many clubs have posted
past issues of their newsletters, and there is a LOT of great information to
be found in past newsletters.

Also
http://www.helsinki.fi/~korpela/PU/PU.html

for current and past issues of PileUp! newsletter.

I look forward to seeing what others also recommend.

<snip>
> In light of the above, I'd like you to consider a concept. If you were a
> new contester and fell into the CQ-Contest list this week, would you be
> motivated to become more involved? In recent months (or maybe longer), we
> have
> not put our best foot forward. Frankly, at the moment, this is the last
> place I would send a newcomer.

Not to belabour the issue, but as contesters we are passionate about our
hobby.  To hear that our peers who we (hopefully) admire and respect are not
playing by the rules is not a pleasant thing to hear.  At the same time,
everyone wants the issue dealt with, but no one is quite sure of the best
way to accomplish this very task.  In the Internet age, this seems like the
logical place (good or bad - it is what it is) to discuss a problem that
affects us all.

To anyone new to contesting or upset with the tone of discussions, I would
hope that they would keep this in mind.  No - I don't have have any answers
either.  As Dave - K1TTT keeps reminding us, we *really, really* need some
sunspots!

Tom - VE3CX