Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

To: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?
From: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:33:59 +0000
Before my daughter started college she was in touch with a number of her
future classmates via Facebook, IM, etc.  One day she made the comment,
"I'm finally going to meet the people I've been talking with the last
few months."  It reminded me of a similar comment I made 35-40 years
ago, but substitute "over the air" for "facebook and IM" and "follow
hams" for "future classmates."

Communication is a lot easier via the Internet.  In parts of EU, many
don't have Internet access from home.  It would be interesting to look
at various countries in Europe and compare their connectivity to number
of young contesters.  I don't have the stats, but I believe OH is
perhaps the most connected country in Europe.  Are the contesters there
significantly older than say Belarus?

Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Lakewood, CO