Re: [CQ-Contest] A couple of post-CQWW observations

To: "Mike/Shelley Ritz" <micritz@comcast.net>, "CQ contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "dx colombia" <dxcolombia@elistas.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A couple of post-CQWW observations
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:24:09 -0500
No Mike, you are not alone. I asked for many repeats as well. Sometimes I
will listen to the DX station make several contacts before I am confident I
know their callsign. I do not speak any foreign languages, so everything
expect English sounds, well, foreign to me.

Not understanding a callsign is reciprocal as well. Many times the DX
station thinks my call is K2RC instead of KØRC for some reason. Most fellows
can "count the numbers"... like "four... one, two, three, FOUR!" You can't
do that when you are a "zero"! So... in phone contests, there ARE language
and accent problems to overcome. It is not a sign of disrespect.

I do know some words of Czech. That language has a sound combination that is
unique to their language. A Czech word like "repa" (sugar beet) is sounded
like the 'rzh' letter combination with a rolling 'r'. That phoneme is
foreign to anyone not familiar with the language and would be difficult to
understand until it was taught to you. Certainly you could use the charged
word "ignorant" to describe this lack of knowledge, but that would be
counter-productive in a civilized conversation.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN