Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: K0HB <K0HB@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:53:35 -0700
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM, K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jukka,
>
> Banning packet would be the same as banning crutches for lame people.
>
> I think lame people should be allowed to use crutches.

Hans, I don't like the implication.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.
And you don't need to give me that hunting dog BS either.  I've heard
it enough.

People use packet for various reasons.  Some are looking for new DXCC
counters.  Some are trying to maximize the score they contribute to
their club.  Some just use it to have fun.

I was told recently that some people in a large contest club feel that
using packet is frowned upon by the more serious operators in the
club.  For a club that wants to win their category, I find this
shocking!  Why shouldn't all club members be encouraged to use
whatever legal means is at their disposal to increase their score (and
thus the club's core)?

I hope casual operators don't take this "packet is lame" stupidity to
heart.  Why not "live and let live"?  If packet is legal by the rules,
and people want to use it, why not let them instead of calling them
names?

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us