Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 23:57:20 -0000
From: "Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM, K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think lame people should be allowed to use crutches.

> Hans, I don't like the implication.

The people who don't like this implication are often the ones
who need the "crutch", the spotting network, to help them get
higher scores in contests.

> And you don't need to give me that hunting dog BS either.
> I've heard it enough.

It's far from BS - it's a reasonable, valid comparison.
And one for which there doesn't appear to be an answer.

> People use packet for various reasons.  Some are looking
> for new DXCC counters.  Some are trying to maximize the score
> they contribute to their club.  Some just use it to have fun.

Yes - the use of non amateur-radio communications technologies
may be quite OK for people who want to have fun, or increase
their DXCC counters, but it is inappropriate at all times for
contesters who submit logs.

You've probably heard this one enough too - but sailboat racers
(SO or MO) don't use engines, ever, during races, even though
they might have easy access to one - for the simple reason that
would be a foolish thing to permit in a sailboat race.  I'll
spell it out - it undermines the rationale for having sailboat
races in the first place.

> I was told recently that some people in a large contest club
> feel that using packet is frowned upon by the more serious
> operators in the club.

The more serious operators probably consider themselves to be
amateur-radio contesters,

> For a club that wants to win their category, I find this
> shocking!

The fundamentally shocking issue is not just that the use of
a separate, wired, communications technology is permitted in
some amateur-radio contesting categories, it's that many of us
apparently think it's normal.

> Why shouldn't all club members be encouraged to use whatever
> legal means is at their disposal to increase their score (and
> thus the club's core)?

Agreed, and what chance is there of engines becoming legal in
sailboat races?

> I hope casual operators don't take this "packet is lame"
> stupidity to heart.  Why not "live and let live"?

Agreed - casual operators can do what they like.

>  If packet is legal by the rules, and people want to use it,
>  why not let them instead of calling them names?

There is a bigger question.  Why is packet legal by the rules?
A reply to the effect "because it's in the rules" is not an
answer to the question.

73,
Paul EI5DI