Re: [CQ-Contest] What Happened on 10 Meters?

To: "PD2R" <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What Happened on 10 Meters?
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:19:08 -0600
I am not sure it is your English letting you down, but you may be
misinterpreting the rules.

We both agree Europe is roughly the same size as the United States and
has as many countries as the US has states.

The key difference is that Europeans can work each other freely for both
points and multipliers, while US stations in different states receive no
points for working each other and only one multiplier for a single
contact.

2. Contacts between stations on the
same continent but different countries,
one (1) point. Exception: For North
American stations only, contacts between
stations within the North American
boundaries count two (2) points.3. Contacts between stations in the
same country are permitted for zone or
country multiplier credit but have zero
(0) point value.

Evaluating Rule #2 shows that contacts between North American stations
counts two points except between stations in the same country, which
shall have multiplier credit but count 0 points.

So, if I am in Jamaica, each US contact counts 2 points and I receive a
single multiplier for the first US station I work on each band. If I am
in the United States, I receive 0 points for each US station I work and
one credit for a multiplier for the first US station I work on each
band.

To the contrary, Europeans receive one point per contact for EVERY
European they work in a different country plus a multiplier for each
country once per band. Thus Europeans can work each other in short skip
conditions and continue to increase the score by one point for each
intercontinental QSO, while US stations achieve no credit for working
each other in short skip conditions and no multipliers for each state
worked.

It is a significant difference in scoring possibilities, particularly
during poor band conditions.

David ~ KY1V

David Kopacz wrote:

> The problem is that Europe, smaller than the US, consists of countries
> and the United States consists of states resulting in one pointers for
> Europeans to work each other and zero pointers for US stations to work
> one another. There is no incentive for US stations to work each other.
>
> A few simple changes in the scoring change everything. Perhaps it's
time
> for change!
>
> David ~ KY1V

Unless my English is letting me down, I don't think your statements are
correct.
This is what a found in the CQ WW SSB contest rules of 2009:

VI. POINTS:
1. Contacts between stations on different
continents are worth three (3)
points.
2. Contacts between stations on the
same continent but different countries,
one (1) point. Exception: For North
American stations only, contacts between
stations within the North American
boundaries count two (2) points.3. Contacts between stations in the
same country are permitted for zone or
country multiplier credit but have zero
(0) point value.

Europe has a little over 50 countries and the US has (AFAIK) 50 states
so
there's not much difference there.

One should know the rules before one starts the contest...:rules: ;-)

By the way, the US is 3.5 million square miles, while Europe is 3.9
million
square miles. :-p

73, Maarten van Rossum
PD2R