Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW participation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW participation
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 04:55:06 -0800 (PST)
The recent NCJ has a good article on major contest growth over the past decade.
Fun reading and analysis.

This year was light on uniques, outside of whatever calls I may have busted, in
past years while running I've always seemed to pick up one or two guys who just
wanted a non-contest QSO. None at all this year...

If the person is a new multiplier, and have had this happen, even if they are
sending 12WPM and they get spotted (I don't spot at this point in time), the
ensuing pileup is enough to make them go QRT pretty quickly.

I theorize that CQWWDX, being an "old" contest, plus the increase in contest
coverage in the various ham related media, uniques have become more unique ;o)
I did hear one guy explaining what someone else needed to send in the Phone
version and encouraging him to work a few more people so he wasn't only in one
log, which is a good practice IMHO. But, you can't force someone to do that,
nor do I think there should be a penalty associated with such a contact. (there
isn't as far as I know)

Too, most folks recommend sending a log in regardless of the number of QSOs,
and more probably do for this contest if for no other reason than to see there
call in print. Once in a while even 1 QSO can be good for a win, as has been
discussed here.

Amazing what a couple good night's sleep will do for one's attitude hihi

Now on to ARRL160 :o) Good luck and have fun!

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN