Re: [CQ-Contest] 2010 WPX Rule Change / Circle rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2010 WPX Rule Change / Circle rules
From: Sandy Farley N7RQ <n7rq@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:41:22 -0800 (PST)
Randy, SA and Oz aren't the only folks having issues with the 275 km radius
limitation.  Arizona has only a handful of fairly-dense population centers.
The rest of the state is sparsely populated, but large enough so that some
Arizona resident members of the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club do not fit within
the club's defined circle, and their scores are excluded from events bound by
this finite limit.

We're aware that some clubs "move" their circle's center based on participation
in various contesting events, but our Board of Directors has been reluctant
to adopt a similar policy because it gives the unmistakable odor of
rule-bending for the purpose of winning.  That's a place we don't want to go.
If our circle boundary was the state boundary, no such conflict would exist.

Please do give consideration to population densities in regions where the
density is very high or very low.  Surely there is a way to weight and amend
certain regions of the US and other countries that have this problem, so that
there's an equitable way to apply such a rule.

Thank you for your work on this and other issues.  It's very much appreciated.

73/88, Sandy Farley N7RQ
Secretary/Treasuere/Webmistress
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
http://www.arizonaoutlaws.net