Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 01:57:26 +0000
N2RJ pointed out:

>Guys, I think this is more serious than we thought it was:
>
>See here:
>
>http://www.mmsn.org/iaru.html

<snip>

>I think that the contesting community should collectively send a
>message to ARRL that the league will lose members if they bow to the
>anti-contesting interests.
>
>After all, a lot of contesters are ARRL members, and if the ARRL gets
>a hint that they will lose support, lose members and in turn lose
>money and eventually lose relevance, they will look after OUR
>interests first.
>
>Otherwise we are giving them a free pass to get whatever they want.
>Today it is 10kc for the MMSN, tomorrow, who knows?

Too late.  The CoAs have been blessed by all three Regions & IARU
AC in its recent meeting noted this.  The damage is done.

The IARU bus by its own admission is driven by ARRL.  This is what
_your_ national society wants & has railroaded it globally in classic
IARU fashion.  That you lot are only seeing this now might suggest
that the radiosporting constituency has little representation in the
process of deciding what is done & that maybe something should be
done about that before they pull the next one on y'all.

It might be noted that these CoAs were _not_ used by amateurs
involved after the recent Italian & mainland China earthquakes.  In reality,
as any active amateur knows, turn the big knob & you can find a clear
frequency.  Frequency assignments are very foreign to the amateur
service & "our" bringing them upon ourselves is a very significant change.
For this to work in practice, all amateur activity needs to conform to the
band plan.  The trend is clear, somebody is determined to tell us all
where we can operate.

Who knows where these CoAs will go now - VR2's national society has
already attempted to take them to our telecom authority's spectrum
advisory committee - to my recollection the first time in >20 years that
officialdom's attention has been brought to what we do in our HF
allocations.  As I said in a previous post, scary stuff. Enjoy!

73, ex-VR2BG/p.