Re: [CQ-Contest] How to log an air mobile station in ARRL-10 contest?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to log an air mobile station in ARRL-10 contest?
From: Oliver Dröse <droese@necg.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:55:57 +0100
Thanks Ron and Ken for your answers sofar.

>     The short answer is that contacts with aeronautical mobile contact
> probably do not count for contest credit in the ARRL 10 Meter Contest.

Well, as it has been a valid contest contact/exchange it has to count - my
opinion at least. ;-)) Ofcourse it's arguable if it is a mult or not (am vs. mm
in the rules) but has to be valid for the 2 points SSB-QSO credit at least.

My question is rather what to put into the log: Serial number or IARU region
number? As I received both I'm flexible on that. ;-)) To my sorrow no answer
from ARRL sofar. :-((

Anybody else who worked W4KZ/am?

Got really excited when hearing W4KZ calling CQ on sideband. ;-)) As it turned
out he was /am flying from Europe to North America and being about 100 miles
east of northeastern Canada mainland (if I understood that correctly) reporting
being in region 2. He was obviously not sure himself what to sent so to be on
the save side he sent a serial number as well as the region. ;-)) He was
calling
CQ contest himself when I grabbed him and told me I was the loudest signal on
the band while all other Europeans he heard were rather weak. Could copy him at
S7 signal levels for about 10 minutes before he slowly faded out. Put him on
the
cluster 3 times but as no other Europeans called him I suppose I had some
special propagation channel to him ... At the same time the band was open to GM
from DL via Sporadic E. When his signal was gone GM signals were gone, too. So
probably something like "2,5 hop sporadic E" ... ;-))

But what a pity that ionosphere did not bounce signals back to W/VE mainland
already so close when judging this contact. ;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA