Re: [CQ-Contest] Why do we like our favorite contesting mode?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why do we like our favorite contesting mode?
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:20:18 -0800 (PST)
Interesting analysis.  However, I don't see it as an indicator of the future of
SSB contesting, as is hinted, because you're not looking at the levels of
contest participation over time.  SSB contesting will always be popular, but
all the graph says is that it's a younger ham's sport.

Other factors that influence our preferred operating mode?  Maybe the majority
of older hams just don't have the pipes to be shouting into a microphone all
weekend?  On the CW side, it could be said that older hams spent more time with
a key or paddles in their hand and just like CW better.  It played a bigger
part in their life as a ham.

I'm in the 30 to 39 years experience category.  It took a few years for the
shine to wear off SSB for me.  Now my station doesn't even have a mic.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS