[CQ-Contest] Log checking with mismatched bands

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log checking with mismatched bands
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:19:58 -0800
K2DSL asks:

> So my question is, assuming the contest log checking program cares about the
> band at all, which I imagine it might, what happens if 2 conflicting log
> entries exist when it tries to match them up? Do both people get a NIL? Does
> it try and figure out which band is correct and how could it do that
> accurately?

This is an issue I have come up against a number of times.  On the surface,
it kind of seems like a QSO logged on a different band should be counted.

However, I will argue the right thing to do in the case where the band
matters is to count these as not-in-logs for both logs.

When a QSO is claimed on different bands, it is really difficult to say
for sure which of the two logs are correct.  One of them has to be wrong.
Since the QSO can't be verified to have actually taken place on either band,
the only real choice left is to count it as a NIL - in both logs.

Note - for a contest where the band doesn't matter (like the Sweepstakes), I
would say the band should be ignored.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net